Name: MUHAMMAD IMMAN ALI
Date of birth: 01 January 1956
Phone: (+88 02) 55110430 (Office)
Education and Qualifications
1981 LL.M. University of Leicester, UK
1977-78 Bar Finals College of Law, London
1974-77 B.A. (Hons.) Law Nottingham Trent University, UK
Barrister-at-Law of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple (Duke of Edinburgh Scholarship for Call to the Bar of England and Wales) – 27 July 1978
Hon Justice, Supreme Court of Bangladesh, Appellate Division:
23 February 2011 to date
Hon Justice, Supreme Court of Bangladesh, High Court Division:
22 February 2001 to 22 February 2011
Deputy Attorney General for Bangladesh:
20 September 1998 to 21 February 2001
Legal Practice both in Bangladesh and the UK:
1978 to 1998
2014 – “Juvenile Justice without Borders International Award” awarded by International Juvenile Justice Observatory (IJJO), Brussels.
Towards a Justice Delivery System for Children in Bangladesh, Published by UNICEF, Dhaka, 2010.
Justice for Children in Bangladesh: A Brief Commentary on the Children Act 2013, Published by Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust (BLAST) and Penal Reform International (PRI), 2013
Book with my contribution: Justice for Children in Bangladesh – An Analysis of Recent Cases, edited and compiled by Najrana Imaan (the book contains twelve judgements relating to justice for children delivered by myself, and a chapter on the newly enacted Children Act 2013).
Articles published internationally and locally:
- Are Judges Experts in Assessing Age?;
- Fundamental Rights of Children;
- Judicial Activism to Combat Violence Against Women and Children;
- Child Justice System in Bangladesh;
- Children in Contact with the Law in Bangladesh;
- Principles and Practice of Children Justice System;
- Sentenced Without a Hearing;
- Business: Women’s and Children’s Rights;
- The Rights of the Young;
- Child Marriage in Bangladesh: A Harmful Traditional Practice.
Speeches, Lectures and Seminar Papers
Resource person at the World Congress on Juvenile Justice held in Geneva (26-30 January 2015)
Attended ILA Biennial Conference in Washington DC as Member of Human Rights and International Law Committee and Feminism and International Law Committee (April 2014)
Lecture delivered at Cornell University, USA on Child Marriage (30 September, 2013, Avon Global Center)
Took part in seminar on Constitutionalism at Yale University, USA, representing Bangladesh (25 to 29 September, 2013, Yale Law School)
Presented the Key Note Papers on the formulation of legislation regarding Justice for Children, Human Trafficking, and Domestic Violence.
Presented papers or presentations at seminars/workshops organised by the Save the Children UK; UNICEF; BNWLA; Ministry of Social Welfare and UNICEF; Aparajeyo Bangladesh; IOM; and Legal Education Training Institute (LETI).
Teaching and Instructions
Regularly lecture at the Judicial Administration Training Institute (Bangladesh) (training judges of the subordinate judiciary) on Child Rights, Probation and Sentencing.
Lectured at the Legal Education Training Institute (LETI) of the Bangladesh Bar Council and at Aparajayo Bangladesh (training lawyers and other relevant actors on the Children Act and other relevant instruments).
Lectured at Training sessions organised by IOM and LETI for Police personnel, government officials, NGO workers and other actors involved in dealing with justice for children and victims of trafficking.
Provided training in Armenia to judges, prosecutors, lawyers, police personnel and others on Juvenile Justice.
Served as Speaker at Training of Prison Officers by PRI and PRAJA held in New Delhi, India (February 2014)
Trainer of Trainers for the Judiciary of the Maldives on Child Rights legislation (September 2017)
Attended the following, among others, conferences
- A Conference organised by STOP Trafficking, Delhi, India (26-27 June, 2006);
- 15th Triennial Conference of CMJA on Justice for the Next Generation (26 to 29 September 2009;
- The UNICEF & CMJA Colloquium on “the Child and the Law” held in Turks and Caicos Islands (30 September to 03 October 2009) [sponsored by UNICEF;
- Conferences on Women & Justice, Delhi (22-23 October 2011); and International Colloquium on Children & Governance, Delhi (9-11 November 2011;
- First Meeting & Conference of the Asia Pacific Council for Juvenile Justice, Bangkok (12-15 June 2012);
- ILA Conference, Sofia (26-30 August 2012);
- EUSARF Conference on Foster Care, Glasgow (04-09 September 2012);
- Conference on Empowerment of Women, Dhaka (2012);
- International Conference on Violence Against Children, Bishkek (20-21 September 2012);
- VIth IJJO International Conference on Juvenile Justice, Brussels (3-4 December 2014);
- Policy Meeting of the Asia Pacific Council for Juvenile Justice, Phuket, Thailand (08 May, 2015)
Study tour in Malaysia and New Zealand to see workings of Juvenile Justice (organised by Save the Children UK);
Study tour in Australia on Court Administration and Case Management
Visited UK and Malawi with GIZ team on study tour in connection with the project: “Improvement of the Real situation of Overcrowding in Prisons”
Visited Queens Supreme Court and Family Court in New York City (March 2014)
Meeting with Judge Kaye, Chairperson of the Permanent Judicial Commission on Justice for Children, New York (March 2014)
Attended IAEA workshops in South Korea, Prague, Jakarta and Vienna on law relating to peaceful use of Atomic Energy
Membership – International Organisations
Secretary General of Penal Reform International (PRI);
Chairman of the Advisory Committee for GIZ on Prison Reform in Bangladesh;
International Association of Youth and Family Judges and Magistrates (IAYFJM) – Council Member;
International Law Association (ILA): Member of International Law and Feminism Committee and International Law and Human Rights Committee;
Member of IAYFJM International Committee for drafting Guidelines on Children in Contact with the Justice System;
Member of Expert Committee formed by UNOCT in connection with Human Rights of children accompanying Foreign Terrorist Fighters
Current responsibilities – at the national level
Chairman of the Supreme Court Judicial Reform Committee;
Chairman of the Supreme Court Special Committee on Child Rights: currently involved with the law reform activity in relation to the Children Act, Children’s Ombudsman/Commissioner, Children Rules; Project with UNICEF: Implementation of the Children Act and development of Children Courts with use of IT; Project: “Engaging Children in Positive Activity”; working towards establishment of Teen/Peer Court.
Started to work to further develop my earlier book on children law incorporating the recent legislative and judicial developments (intended to be published in 2019).
English – fluent spoken and written
Bangla – fluent spoken and written
Hindi/Urdu – spoken – advance
French – basic